Altasciences Preclinical Animal Welfare Program has an outstanding full-time opportunity for an Attending Veterinarian / Director.
The purpose of this position is to provide veterinary oversight and support for the animal care and use program at Altasciences preclinical, Everett, Washington facility. This position performs a critical function to support excellent animal care and welfare within the context of the Altasciences’ highly successful biopharmaceutical regulatory (Good Laboratory Practices, GLP) contract research services. The AV/Director has reporting line to the Institutional Official who has ultimate authority over the program. The role of the attending veterinarian is a critical role in upholding regulatory requirements and ensuring that our program is in alignment with regulations and Altasciences standards of veterinary care for all vertebrate animals that are used in contract research and testing at Altasciences in Everett, Washington. Altasciences maintains full AAALAC Accreditation.
Altasciences is a premier contract research organization with demonstrated commitment and success in biomedical research supporting the pharmaceutical industry. The AV will serve a critical purpose to ensure appropriate animal care and welfare as Altasciences fulfills its mission of contract research and service.
- Serve as a voting member on the IACUC (responsibility can also be assigned to a designee) with authority and responsibility for activities involving animals.
- Provide advice, consultation, and support to researchers and the IACUC on the proper use of animals in contract research.
- Thoroughly evaluate and review appropriate animal use protocols and amendments, providing guidance and support to IACUC.
- Ensure a tight working relationship between IACUC and Altasciences veterinary staff.
- Assure facility compliance with PHS/OLAW guidelines, AAALAC-International accreditation requirements, and animal welfare regulations.
- Participate in site visits/consultations by external oversight organizations (AAALAC-International, USDA, and industry partners), as necessary.
- Maintain and provide necessary revision to the AAALAC-International program description.
- Assist with OLAW Assurance revisions, and annual updates to OLAW and USDA.
- Veterinary care oversight of laboratory animals, including NHPs, dogs, rabbits, rodents and other species on site. The position ensures the animal care program provides appropriate clinical care, housing, and equipment to meet required regulatory and compliance standards.
- Consultation and knowledge exchange with study Directors regarding animal procedures and protocol compliance.
- Provide oversight of research animal enrichment programs.
- Assist and evaluate new techniques for veterinary care to improve animal care and welfare over time.
- Supervise, develop and sustain computer-based and face-to-face animal use training programs.
- Perform, give advice, and provide necessary surgical technique and anesthesia training.
- Participate in writing, reviewing, and updating veterinary and compliance policies, guidelines, and SOPs as required.
- Must have Six to eight years of experience
- Professional Degree: DVM
- Professional Certification- DACLAM and Veterinary License in United States, preferably State of Washington
- Must have experience working in a large animal care and use program with authority and understanding of how the various constituents must work together to move research forward while maintaining regulatory compliance.
- Experience in contract research environment and familiarity with applicable regulations.
- Completed a training program in a laboratory animal veterinary residence program or equivalent experience.
- Experience and knowledge of federally mandated Animal Care and Use Program issues, including laws and regulations and federally required IACUC review operating procedures.
- Ability to assist development and evaluation of progressive advances in animal care and research.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and decision-making across scope of responsibility.
- Adept at working under deadline pressure and changing priorities.
- Ability to effectively function independently, as part of a team, and in collaboration with diverse audiences.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality related to program information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency and work experience with Microsoft Office Suite and comfortable with new technology.
- A commitment to communication, customer service, organization and ongoing process improvement.
- Type de paie Salaire
- Everett, Washington, États-Unis