Senior Mechanical Engineer
An opportunity exists for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our integrated, multi-disciplinary design team which delivers practical engineering design and construction solutions to our clients on a broad range of major infrastructure projects. The successful candidate will be working as part of Klohn Crippen Berger’s Power and Transportation Group based in Vancouver.
At KCB, the mechanical group focuses primarily on hydroelectric projects; recent hydroelectric projects include work on, water control gates, large valve, turbines, penstocks and the balance of plant systems for hydroelectric generation stations (piping, pumping, HVAC, drainage). In addition to the hydroelectric projects, we also work with moveable bridges, cranes, and large pumping systems for mining projects.
The KCB mechanical group has several senior engineers with between 15 and 40 years of experience in our industry, as well as several intermediate engineers. The group has enough experience to allow mentorship of career and technical advancement but is small enough that we have a close-knit team who regularly works together.
The KCB Power and Transportation Group works across Canada, at sites in BC, Yukon, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and the Maritimes. In addition, we currently have projects in Australia, Colombia, the United States, Kazakhstan and Indonesia. We often have opportunities for personnel to travel to a variety of locations across Canada or elsewhere in the world.
For these reasons, a position at KCB will provide an ideal environment to learn and grow a career. We currently have a reasonably heavy workload, so a successful candidate will be very quickly involved in interesting design tasks.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Be involved with designs of new or refurbishment of overall hydroelectric plants
- Work on facility wide or major component refurbishments for hydroelectric plants, cranes and pumping systems
- Learn from a variety of experienced engineers
- Potentially travel to sites across Canada and internationally
If you have a Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and 10+ years of related experience, we want to hear from you.
We value your:
- strong technical design and analytical skills. While many of us at KCB do project or personnel management as part of our work, we all have technical backgrounds and enjoy the challenges of technical work.
- understanding of other disciplines and how the interactions between disciplines affect designs.
- ability to technically review the work of others
- ability to project manage a variety of engineering projects.
- willingness to learn and understand the business side of consulting engineering.
- eligibility for registration with EGBC
- effective verbal and written communication skills in English, with demonstrated competent report writing skills
- experience in hydroelectric and water control facility design;
- hands on practical experience with repairs, modifications, and / or new builds, either through work, school projects, or hobbies.
- strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a multi-disciplinary team of professionals
- experience and/or ability to perform outdoor and / or field/construction services
- ability to maintain quality throughout a project, implementing improvements when required
- strong computer skills, ideally including MSWord, Excel, Mathcad, Revit, Inventor, Solidworks and hydraulic design software
- ability to travel to remote work sites as required
Current project workload comprises a variety of project and client opportunities including:
- Design of new hydroelectric facilities
- Refurbishments and upgrades to hydroelectric facilities
- Design of large water control gates.
- Conditions assessments of large gates and valves
- Dam safety, and public safety reviews
- Hydroelectric facility audits
- Inspections, major maintenance and refurbishments of large port cranes
- Slurry transport systems and cyclones for domestic and international mining clients
- Conventional and custom mechanical designs and systems for large infrastructure projects
- Marine and port facilities
- Mechanical design from concept to final design
- Structural and mechanical design of gates for water resource and hydroelectric projects
- Development of functional requirements for use by electrical staff
- Preparation of design deliverables (drawings, specs, estimates, schedules, reports, etc.)
- Site investigations and construction monitoring
- Condition assessments of existing equipment
- Upgrades and refurbishment of existing installations.
- Design of pumping systems, piping, heating, and ventilation systems for hydro and industrial clients
Klohn Crippen Berger (KCB) is a multi-disciplinary consulting firm with four major business units providing engineering and environmental services in the mining, hydropower, water resources, transportation, and oil and gas sectors from our offices in Canada, Australia, Peru, Brazil, the US and the UK.
KCB is a platinum member of Canada’s Best Managed companies. We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from all qualified career seekers. We offer professional career development tracks and salaries commensurate with experience and an attractive benefits package.
Are you up to the challenge?
If this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you, simply apply on-line with your résumé. We thank all candidates for applying, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Along with continued career development, KCB offers:
- Hybrid work opportunities
- Annual performance and salary review
- PSMJ’s supported track record of profitability, leading to above average bonus payouts
- Vacation policy that aligns to your experience
- Paid OT, and wellness days
- Flexible benefits, including RSP, social, and mental well-being initiatives
- Commitment to global ESG standards
We are a global organization committed to employment equity. We respect the uniqueness that makes you, you. We encourage applications from all qualified career seekers, regardless of gender, sex, religion, or nationality.
- Job Family Engineers
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Job Start Date February 19, 2023
- Broadway Tech Centre, 500-2955 Virtual Way, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada