We are currently seeking a qualified individual for the following opportunity in our downtown Toronto office:
SPECIALIST, CONSTRUCTION SERVICES
The Construction Services Specialist is a key member of the Surety team, providing support in construction risk as it relates to Surety. You will be providing quantitative and qualitative support to the underwriters and Surety Claims group.
As an integral member of the team, you will bring:
• Dedication to providing outstanding client service with a partnership mentality
• Solid business acumen, keen strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work effectively within an entrepreneurial environment
• Ability to thrive in a results-oriented environment with multiple, competing priorities
• A logical, process oriented work style with a passion for excellence
• Exceptional and proven project management skills with superior attention to detail
• Assist underwriters by applying Canadian construction knowledge where deemed necessary to understand risk.
• Review correspondence about disputes and provide review of construction issues for risk analysis.
• Analyze project schedules for accuracy and reasonableness and evaluate and forecast for potential concerns with construction designs, budgets and schedules.
• Analyze the overall health of a given construction project to determine risks associated with schedule, cost, quality, and safety.
• Assist Surety Claims group by analyzing performance and complicated payment bond claims.
• To make appropriate recommendations, understand the lifecycle of a construction project including identification of key milestones, billing process, profit projections and income statements for projects.
• Conduct low bid review and operational reviews of construction contractors.
• Produce training materials and present training sessions on specific topics about construction to underwriting and claims team members.
• Travel to various sites across Canada as required.
• A minimum 7 years’ experience in progressive roles in Canadian construction market which includes a detailed understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the owner, consultants, contractor and subcontractors.
• Strong financial understanding, analytical skills and hands on experience within construction and within the Canadian marketplace.
• Knowledge of surety underwriting and claims handling a definite asset.
• Detailed knowledge of Canadian standard construction contract documents and subcontracts including CCDC and CCA. Exposure and knowledge of Alternate Financing and Procurement (“AFP”) and Design Build (‘DB”) documents beneficial.
• Understanding of project estimating, project schedules, cost management practices, project profit projection and impact to overall contractor financial statement reporting.
• Solid understanding of contract accounting and construction billing cycle including progress payment certificates and breakdown for payment purposes.
• Understanding of provincial Lien Acts in Canada including holdback/retention and holdback release process.
• Canadian Construction Association Gold Seal certification would be considered an asset.
• Proficient with and knowledge of computer operations and standard software packages required.
• Ability to conduct meetings and prepare reports on the status of many ongoing projects.
• Bilingual (French and English) would be an asset.
• Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, architecture, construction.
• Consideration given to graduates of Technologist/Technician diploma with background in Canadian construction.
• Canadian Professional Engineer designation an asset. C.E.T. designation will be considered with appropriate Canadian experience.
This posting is inactive.