Field Staff, Ecosystem Management (Planting team) (Seasonal)
Current Rate of Pay: Min = $22.32/hr, Max = $24.20/hr
Employment type: Temporary Full-Time (Seasonal)
Duration of employment: 12 weeks with possibility of extension; Start Date in April
Hours of work: 40 hrs/week
Work location: Boyd and RSC (Restoration Services Centre) Offices
Division: Restoration and Infrastructure
Business unit: Restoration and Resource Management
Remote Work: None
Seasonal Hire TRCA – 2023
Seasonal job opportunities are plentiful at TRCA. If you are looking for seasonal job openings, we can provide great opportunities and seasonal perks. Apply now!
By working at TRCA you will:
- Work outdoors during the spring and summer in beautiful natural areas.
- Learn about ecological restoration, including tree and shrub identification.
- Gain valuable experience working at a conservation authority.
- Get a free Conservation Ontario annual pass.
- Get access to TRCA’s Reciprocal Program (discounts across various Ontario attractions).
How you will contribute as part of the TRCA team:
Provide general labour assistance in a dynamic team environment with the implementation of ecological restoration projects with a focus on native tree, shrub, herbaceous and bio-engineering plantings. Staff will contribute to restoring TRCA’s watersheds including working on wetland, stream, shoreline, and meadow restoration projects. Occupational health and safety is a major responsibility of this position.
Assist with the implementation of ecological restoration projects focusing on terrestrial and riparian plantings.
- As part of a 5-6 person crew, teams can anticipate planting the following typical daily targets dependent on stock type:
- 70 Ball & Burlap trees, or;
- 350 potted trees and/or shrubs, or 400 bareroot trees, or;
- 750 bareroot shrubs, or;
- 2000 hand planted tree seedlings;
- Assist with operation and maintenance of equipment, including RTVs, tractors, and implements, including vehicle preparation and daily safety checks.
- Ability to navigate uneven terrain for distances up to 1000m, sometimes in remote locations and in adverse weather.
- Repetitious and strenuous physical activities related to all planting activities including digging, bending, lifting, post-pounding, rodent guarding, mulching, site preparations and the carrying plant materials and equipment weighing 25-50lbs.
- Typical field staff hours range from 7:00am – 4:00pm, Monday – Friday. Overtime during regularly scheduled shifts may also be required and occasionally on weekends
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What will you need to succeed:
- Working towards or has completed a post-secondary education in biology, environmental science, resource management or a related field and pursuing a career in environmental or related field.
- Experience related to major tasks an asset.
- Knowledge of restoration ecology, and terrestrial ecosystems, including native plants and their habitats.
- Ability and aptitude to work outdoor in adverse conditions.
- Familiarity with farm and construction equipment, including small tools and larger machinery an asset.
- Standard First Aid an asset.
- Valid Ontario G Class driver’s license. Class A (R) license / trailer experience an asset.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as a team member
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter prior to midnight on February 19, 2023.
While the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised that successful incumbent(s) may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector screening and/or driver’s abstract check as a part of the final step in the hiring process.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA Policies, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the TRCA. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.
Personal information you provide through the TRCA recruitment, selection and onboarding process is collected under the authority of the Conservation Authorities Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.27. Collection of this personal information is necessary for the proper administration of this recruitment process for employment and volunteer positions with TRCA. Personal information is protected from disclosure pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Any questions regarding this collection activity should be directed to the Supervisor of Records, 101 Exchange Avenue, Vaughan, Ontario, L4K 5R6, (416) 661-6600 extension 5216.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Temporary Contract
- Min Hiring Rate $46,423.00
- Max Hiring Rate $50,331.00
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 30
- 9755 Canada Company Ave, Woodbridge, ON L4H 0A3, Canada
- Restoration Services Centre, 9741 Canada Company Avenue, Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada