Crew Leader, Ecosystem Management (Planting Team) (Seasonal)
Current Rate of Pay: Min = $28.98/hr, Max = $31.42/hr
Employment type: Temporary Full-Time (Seasonal)
Duration of employment: 15 weeks with possibility of extension; Start Date in March
Hours of work: 40 hrs/week
Work location: Boyd and RSC (Restoration Services Centre) Offices
Division: Restoration and Infrastructure
Business unit: Restoration and Resource Management
Remote Work: None
Seasonal Hire TRCA – 2023
Seasonal job opportunities are plentiful at TRCA. If you are looking for seasonal job openings, we can provide great opportunities and seasonal perks. Apply now!
By working at TRCA you will:
- Work outdoors during the spring and summer in beautiful natural areas.
- Learn about ecological restoration.
- Gain valuable experience working at a conservation authority.
- Get a free Conservation Ontario annual pass.
- Get access to TRCA’s Reciprocal Program (discounts across various Ontario attractions).
How you will contribute as part of the TRCA team:
The planting Crew Leader leads a team of 4-5 field staff to implement terrestrial natural cover restoration projects focused on tree and shrub planting. Under the direction of the Environmental Technologist/Coordinator, the crew lead will lead the team planting trees and shrubs at ecological restoration sites across the jurisdiction. This position plays an integral role in the on-ground implementation of natural cover restoration projects, bringing their leadership skills together with their ecological knowledge. Occupational health and safety is a major responsibility of this position.
- Provide on-site leadership, supervision and support as part of a crew implementing tasks within ecological restoration projects to achieve daily targets dependent on stock type:
- 70 Ball & Burlap trees, or;
- 350 potted trees and/or shrubs, or 400 bareroot trees, or;
- 750 bareroot shrubs, or;
- 2000 hand planted tree seedlings;
What will you need to succeed:
- Post-secondary Degree or Diploma in resource management, restoration ecology, environmental sciences, fish and wildlife management or related field.
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience related to major tasks; experience in ecological restoration, landscaping or related field.
- Knowledge of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, fish and wildlife habitat, plant identification and ecology.
- Familiarity with farm and construction equipment, including small tools and larger machinery an asset.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Effective problem-solving skills and leadership skills
- Familiarity with mapping natural landscape features and reading maps.
- Standard First Aid an asset.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Computer proficiency with software experience (MS PowerPoint, Excel, Word, ArcMap experience an asset).
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse conditions.
- Valid Ontario G driver’s license in good standing. Class A (R) license / trailer experience an asset
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as a team member.
- Good physical fitness required for carrying out major responsibilities.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter prior to midnight on February 12, 2023.
While the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised that successful incumbent(s) may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector screening and/or driver’s abstract check as a part of the final step in the hiring process.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA Policies, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the TRCA. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.
Personal information you provide through the TRCA recruitment, selection and onboarding process is collected under the authority of the Conservation Authorities Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.27. Collection of this personal information is necessary for the proper administration of this recruitment process for employment and volunteer positions with TRCA. Personal information is protected from disclosure pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Any questions regarding this collection activity should be directed to the Supervisor of Records, 101 Exchange Avenue, Vaughan, Ontario, L4K 5R6, (416) 661-6600 extension 5216.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Temporary Contract
- Min Hiring Rate $60,285.00
- Max Hiring Rate $65,360.00
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 30
- 9755 Canada Company Ave, Woodbridge, ON L4H 0A3, Canada
- Restoration Services Centre, 9741 Canada Company Avenue, Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada