Casual Employment Opportunities at MIB
We are traditional hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speaking people. Today, we are a strong, growing community of over 1,300 members. We live on a small portion of our traditional territory, known as the Musqueam Indian Reserve, located south of Marine Drive near the mouth of the Fraser River. The name Musqueam relates back to the River Plant, the name of the plant is məθkʷəy̓. There is a story that has been passed on from generation to generation that explains how we became known as the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) - People of the River Plant. We have always moved throughout our territory using the resources it provides for fishing, hunting, trapping and gathering. We remain distinct and our cultural practices are strong, despite the devastating impacts of residential schools, colonial laws banning our ceremonies, and other attempts to assimilate our people. Our lands and waters continue to support our cultural and economic practices while serving as a source of knowledge and memory, encoded with our teachings and laws. To learn more about Musqueam, please visit www.musqueam.bc.ca
- Drivers - must have a valid Class 5 driver's license.
- Safe Home Workers - you must be available to work a variety of shifts in the evenings, graveyard and weekends providing a secure and safe environment within the home
We have ongoing opportunities for casual employment. These include:
- Administrative Services - strong administrative and computer skills needed for future assignments for clerical, receptionist and administrative positions
- Recreation - qualified candidates must be willing to attend a half day training/orientation session
- Safety Patrol Night Shift - women are encouraged to apply. Summer students come train and work in your community this summer. Qualified candidates must be willing to attend a half day training/orientation session.
- Youth Centre - looking for role models in the community to cover shifts
- Community Notice Delivery - great opportunity for students. You must be 16 years of age or older
- Child Care/Daycare - looking for candidates with a love for working with kids
- Drivers - we are seeking who have a Valid Class 4 and 5. Unrestricted or higher B.C. Driver's License and a clean driving record to drive on a casual basis for events, outings and other bookings. Drives should have knowledge of Vancouver and surrounding areas and be able to work well with various groups. Please submit a copy of your driver's license with application.
- Homemaker - house cleaning, light meal preparation for elders as needed
- MIB Cigarette Shop - we are looking for community member with great customer service skills and cash management to work shifts
If you submitted an application recently, only reapply if your contact information has changed.
To maintain eligibility on the Casual list, please update your resume, availability and contact information on an ongoing basis or at a minimum once every six months.
Applicants of Musqueam or Indigenous ancestry are encouraged to apply.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Human Resources:
- Clarke Wood, HR Manager: email@example.com
- Pay Type Hourly
- Main Office, 6735 Salish Drive, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada