Library Assistant (Part Time 28 - 32 hrs/wk)
Library Assistant, Part-time (average 28-32 hours/week)
LaSalle College Vancouver is part of the LCI Education Network which is present on 5 continents and has 23 post-secondary campuses and approximately 3,000 employees who support more than 17,000 students worldwide each year. From one country to the next, LCI Education favors the harmonization of its programs, which makes for greater flexibility, better control over the quality of its services, and deeper respect towards the various cultures it works with.
LaSalle College Vancouver offers a variety of design-based programs that respond to professional demands. Thanks to our reputation and continuous industry involvement, our experienced and dynamic teachers are passionate about providing world class instruction – both theoretical and practical – to our students.
The ideal candidate profile for this position is someone who thrives in a dynamic environment; enjoys a challenge; possesses strong customer service skills; and is detail oriented.
Reporting to the Librarian, the incumbent is responsible for providing excellent customer service to users and assisting the LaSalle College Vancouver community in the use of Library materials and resources including the related technology, plus reference research and support.
Key Job Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Librarian, The Library Assistant is responsible for:
- Providing library services, including assistance with reference and research inquiries; the use of library search and discovery tools; the use of library technology; and both physical and online information resource access
- Coordinating collection and general library space maintenance
- Processing new physical acquisitions
- Assisting with copy cataloguing
- Assisting with the supervision of student library staff
- Assisting with creation and maintenance of library marketing and communications materials
- Assisting with the creation and maintenance of the library’s instructional and research guides/tutorials
- Assisting with planning and coordination of library events and training sessions
- Other projects as assigned
- Chief Academic Officer
- Key Managers
- Employees and students of LaSalle College Vancouver
- High School Diploma
- Minimum 1 year of related experience working in an office environment and in a similar role
- Ability to work weekday afternoons and evenings
- Ability to lift heavy materials (up to 10 kgs) and reach tall shelves
- Experience working in a library is an asset
- Experience in higher education is an asset
- Requires a flexible schedule that can accommodate evening and weekend shifts, etc.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision; prioritize tasks and responsibilities; meet deadlines; and problem solve
- Demonstrated computer literacy and basic Microsoft Office software skills
- Experience working and/or studying at a liberal arts, design, or media arts post-secondary educational institution an asset
- Basic HTML and CSS knowledge an asset
Abilities and Attributes:
- Work collaboratively with members of a diverse campus community
- Understand the importance of confidentiality
- High level of professionalism
- Work independently, and effectively, under pressure and with minimal supervision
- Adapt to changing assignments and juggle multiple, and sometimes competing, priorities
- Regularly required to lift heavy materials
- Must be able to bend, stand and/or walk when filing or when picking up and/or delivering materials throughout the campus
All employees at LaSalle College Vancouver are defined by key attributes which we value. These key attributes are: action oriented, innovative/creative, resourceful, respects peoples’ individuality and differences, engaging/effective communicator, committed to sharing knowledge and best practices, have a global perspective, embraces change, client/customer focused, and resilient.
- Job Family Vancouver
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $20.00
- Max Hiring Rate $22.00
- Required Education Some College
- LaSalle College Vancouver, 2665, RENFREW STREET, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada