Housing Support Worker
Housing Support Worker- Full Time
Simcoe- Dogwood Suites
Position Description: Reporting to the Program Supervisor, the Housing Support Worker, as a member of the inter-disciplinary team, is responsible to provide tenants in Indwell’s independent living apartments with supports that help people maintain health and housing.
About Indwell: We are a Christian not-for-profit charity that creates affordable housing communities and supportive programs to people seeking health, wellness, and belonging. Founded in 1974, we continue to grow and thrive to build high quality energy efficient housing and inclusive living, uplifting our society. Our belief is that every employee is a leader contributing to transform lives through HOPE and HOMES. Being a part of our amazing team you will be fulfilled working together with others who are genuinely invested in Indwell's mission to serve people impacted by poverty and homelessness. To learn more, go to: indwell.ca/our-model
What our Tenants say:
- "The welcoming you get when you walk through the doors, from tenants to staff. They're always checking on you."
- "Living at Indwell has been teaching me to do things and taught me how to get along with better people, be better people, trust people and let people do and say what they want."
- "An affordable rent. It’s huge, it’s huge. It means I can eat properly. And that affects my physical and mental health, so that is huge."
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week- days, evenings, weekends and public holidays. Hours will be scheduled based on the support needs of individuals living in supported apartments. Participation in the on-call 24/7 schedule rotation is required.
Duties for this position include:
Directly Supporting Individuals before and after moving into Dogwood Suites
- Assist tenants through intake, admission and orientation.
- Support individuals in issues related to their housing and health.
- Help tenants connect to community agencies, resources and supports.
- Support tenants’ participation in cultural, spiritual, recreational, leisure, educational, and social activities.
- Reinforce tenants’ life skills, spirituality, and social and community skills.
- Plan and facilitate programs.
- Develop and carry out individualized service plans that help individuals meet goals.
- As a representative of a faith-based organization, recognize and promote the role of spirituality and provide support and guidance as required.
- Administer, document and monitor medications in accordance with agency policies and procedures, as required
- Support tenants after hours as required by the on-call schedule.
Housing and Facilities
- Collect rents.
- Respond to tenant complaints/concerns.
- Work collaboratively with the Facilities maintenance coordinators, reporting maintenance needs to ensure upkeep of buildings and grounds.
- Complete regular environmental checks, including requirements of the building’s Integrated Pest Management plan.
Health, Welfare and Safety Practices
- Use appropriate procedures when responding to emergency situations.
- Ensure own health and safety and that of tenants, co-workers and others by adhering to health and safety standards.
- Complete required safety checks and inspections as assigned.
- Attend and participate in all required training to maintain and develop new skills.
- Complete required reports in a timely manner in accordance with policy and procedures.
- Perform administrative tasks as assigned, such as rent collections and financial records.
- Ensure information about tenant interactions are entered into the data system as required.
Participation and Commitment to the Team
- Attend and actively participate in team meetings and other agency meetings as required.
- Maintain positive written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrate positive relationships within the Indwell team.
- Promote and demonstrate the vision, mission and values of Indwell within the workplace and the community.
- Assist in the orientation and support of staff, students and volunteers.
- Committed to upholding and modeling the standards set out in the organization’s Mission Statement, Statement of Faith, Code of Conduct and other operating standards and policies.
- Experience working with individuals with serious mental illness, addictions or other special needs.
- Ability to demonstrate warmth, sensitivity, and a caring attitude.
- Ability to work independently, be flexible, organized, responsible, and take initiative.
- Ability to maintain excellent interpersonal relationships.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in mental health and/or affordable housing.
Salary: $43,700-51,900 annual salary based on education and experience. Indwell offers a competitive benefits package and RRSP contribution.
To Apply: Please apply with cover letter and resume to our website: www.indwell.ca/careers. We thank all applicants; however, only applicants that are being considered will be contacted.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Our supports, services, and employment are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell’s leadership are motivated by the example of Jesus Christ as reflected in Indwell’s statement of faith. Indwell engages with diverse communities; we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services and organization.
- Pay Type Salary
- 41 Norfolk St S, Simcoe, ON N3Y 0H1, Canada