FT Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)- Full Time
Hamilton ON - Parkdale Landing Program
Closing Date for Applications: February 8th, 2023.
Position Description: Reporting to the Program Manager or Supervisor, as the RPN, you will work in collaboration Registered Nurses across the organization and with the Clinical Lead. Assisting in coordinating and delivering mental health and health services to tenants. Participating as a member of an interdisciplinary team to provide treatment, rehabilitation, and support for individuals living in supportive housing. Delivering services within your full scope of practice with appropriate supervision.
About Indwell: We are a Christian not-for-profit charity that creates affordable housing communities and supportive programs to people seeking health, wellness, and belonging. Founded in 1974, we continue to grow and thrive to build high quality energy efficient housing and inclusive living, uplifting our society. Our belief is that every employee is a leader contributing to transform lives through HOPE and HOMES. Being a part of our amazing team you will be fulfilled working together with others who are genuinely invested in Indwell's mission to serve people impacted by poverty and homelessness.
To learn more, go to: indwell.ca/our-model
What our Nurses say:
"I have never been prouder to tell people about my workplace. The values that Indwell represents can be felt on every level of the organization. I have been humbled by the resilience of the population we serve. The emphasis on relationships first and the use of a truly holistic approach have made this the most rewarding work I have ever been a part of."
"Where else could I practice the skills and employ the knowledge I have, in a way that is so meaningful and relational? Somewhere that an intramuscular injection demonstrates trust and relationship. Where else can I be a nurse while simultaneously being so 'human'? Somewhere my 'clients' see and respect my humanity first, and my title and credentials second. The 8hr shifts, street clothes, lack of night shifts, benefits, caring management, interdisciplinary team, autonomy, and common goal for hope and homes are just icing on this cake." "It is a unique environment to work with teammates who are so like-minded, while also bringing a diverse complement of experience and backgrounds."
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week. Flexibility is required to meet program needs. Participation in the on-call schedule is required.
- Helping tenants connect to community resources and supports
- Reinforcing tenants’ life skills, spirituality, and social and community skills
- Supporting individuals to achieve their goals while encouraging independence and recovery
Planning and facilitating programs
Assisting volunteers to deliver relevant supports within the program
- Following applicable regulations, policies and procedures
Maintaining a safe and healthy environment
Working as part of a team to provide direct and indirect support to tenants living in the community
- Support staff education and training as part of an interdisciplinary approach to wholistic health
Directly Supporting Individuals to maintain and improve their health and housing
Provide direct nursing care to tenants as required within scope of practice.
- As part of an interdisciplinary team, coordinate, lead and/or facilitate the development and monitoring of supportive plans of care in collaboration with an internal and external team of community professionals and agencies.
- Provide health, mental health, and addictions assessments in collaboration with program staff and supports. Ensuring consistent follow up with treatment and recovery plans.
- Monitor tenant health and engage additional services as required.
- Regular monitoring of tenants within scope of practice and evaluating the effectiveness of tenants’ support plans through regular follow up visits with tenants.
- Collaborate with the tenant’s primary health provider and provide suggestions with regards to any required changes in tenants’ treatment profile.
- Ability to deescalate complex and unpredictable tenant behaviour
- Liaise with pharmacy to ensure a good working relationship is maintained.
- Health teaching on topics including but not limited to medications, immunization, chronic disease management, etc.
- Assist in motivating tenants to learn new behaviours and develop coping skills.
- Support tenants’ participation in cultural, spiritual, recreational, leisure, educational, and social activities.
- Take responsibility for a primary case load under supervision of Program Supervisor.
Health, Welfare and Safety Practices
- Adhere to health and safety standards to maintain a healthy work environment.
- Complete required safety checks and inspections as assigned.
- Ensure continuity of care by maintaining up to date medical records and communication with the tenant’s primary care provider and other service providers as required.
- Complete required reports in a timely manner in accordance with policy and procedures.
- Ensure information about tenant interactions are entered into the data system as required.
- Complete necessary assessment tools as required.
Participation and Commitment to the Interdisciplinary Team
Supports and coordinates activities with all members of the interdisciplinary staff team.
Attend and actively participate in team meetings and other agency meetings as required.
Maintain positive written and verbal communication.
Keep apprised of new research and developments relevant to your role, through workshops, journals, web sites and literature and transfer knowledge back to the team and tenants in the most effective manner available.
Demonstrate positive relationships within the Indwell team, providing health teaching and educational resources regarding nursing practices to the interdisciplinary team.
Assist in the orientation and support of staff, students and volunteers.
Supervise students. Be interested and able to act as a preceptor to nursing students.
Attend and participate in all required training.
Promote and demonstrate the vision, mission and values of Indwell within the workplace and the community.
- As a representative of a faith-based organization, recognize and promote the role of spirituality and provide support and guidance as required.
- Current registration as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Evidence of appropriate insurance as stipulated by the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Committed to upholding and modeling the standards set out in the organization’s Mission Statement, Statement of Faith, Code of Conduct and other operating standards and policies
- Experience working with individuals with serious mental illness, addictions or other special needs
- Ability to demonstrate warmth, sensitivity, and a caring attitude
- Ability to work independently, be flexible, organized, responsible, and take initiative
- Ability to problem solve and to handle crises with clear rational thinking
- Ability to maintain excellent interpersonal relationships
- A valid “G” class driver’s license
Education/Experience: Completion of an approved Registered Practical Nursing program and experience in community nursing or mental health services.
Salary: $51,700-59,900 annual salary based on education and experience. Indwell offers a competitive benefits package and RRSP contribution.
To Apply: Please apply online with resume and cover letter at www.indwell.ca/careers. We thank all applicants, however only applicants that are being considered will be contacted.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Our supports, services, and employment are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell’s leadership are motivated by the example of Jesus Christ as reflected in Indwell’s statement of faith. Indwell engages with diverse communities; we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services and organization.
- Pay Type Salary
- 205 Melvin Ave, Hamilton, ON L8H 2J9, Canada