ABOUT THIS POSITION
Digital Extremes is seeking a Technical Artist to join our team. As a Technical Artist you will be joining a team of talented industry veterans with wide ranging experiences, each intent on making the best experience possible for our devoted community of players and developers.
Our studio has multiple projects ranging from a long standing IP which is approaching its tenth anniversary, and a brand new IP just starting development and looking to push artistic and technical boundaries.
We are looking for a motivated, skilled, and driven Technical Artist who is excited by tough artistic and technical problems and strives to find a solution. You are the right candidate if you like to solve these types of problems and are excited to share the solution with the team. You should possess modeling and texturing skills, have experience in Houdini, know max, mel, lua, python or other scripting languages with bonus marks given for knowing HLSL, C#, C++ or other programming languages.
As a studio we move quickly to develop and deliver fantastic experiences to our players. Due to that fact we are always looking for ways to improve our tools, our pipeline, our practices and our processes. We want to make great looking, great playing games and have fun doing so. You and the technical art team will help to make that happen.
As a Technical Artist you will find yourself collaborating with many other departments such as fx, code, animation, level art and level design among others and you should be comfortable doing so. Practical experience across other departments is a big asset but not a requirement.
You must have a genuine enthusiasm and interest in video games and possess strong oral and written communication skills. You must also provide a portfolio of your work that demonstrates an understanding of both artistic and technical fundamentals and be able to discuss these effectively.
- Contribute innovative and original ideas toward all aspects of the game’s production and development, including but not limited to process, pipelines and tools
- Work with existing tools and processes while looking for ways to make improvements and help us become better artists and developers
- Collaborate with artists, engineers and designers to ensure effective integration of art, game design, performance and technology
- Work as a team member with production and development, promoting creative thinking processes within the team and integrating their input to translate the game vision into gameplay reality
- Help to assess and provide insights into making better performing levels within our games
- Deliver work on time and according to schedule as prepared by the production team
- Engage with the entire production team to stay current on the scope and understanding of the project
- Actively participate in the feedback loop to both provide and accept constructive feedback as it pertains to the technical and artistic elements of the game
- Multitask effectively, prioritize competing demands, and trouble-shoot any issues relative to the role that may arise
- College diploma or University degree
- A minimum of 1 year as a technical artist and will have shipped at least one AAA title in this role. Experience in the creation of game art and a strong understanding of game engine fundamentals including performance optimization, and game engine tools
- College diploma or University degree in 3D, Game Development, Graphic Arts, Fine Arts, programming, or other relevant programs.
- 2+ years of relevant experience as a technical artist at a AAA studio
Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world's top independent video game development studios. Originating with the co-creation of Epic Games' multi-million unit selling Unreal® franchise including Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Digital Extremes went on to develop Dark Sector®, BioShock® for the PlayStation®3, the BioShock 2 multiplayer campaign, and The Darkness® II.
The studio has reached its greatest critical and commercial success with the free-to-play action game, Warframe®, boasting a global community of 50 million registered players on PC, PS4™, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch™.
For more information about Digital Extremes, visit www.digitalextremes.com. To sign up for Warframe, visit www.warframe.com.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing talent is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers”. We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Virtual access to Dialogue, our mental wellness and healthcare services app
- Professional development and career support
- Work-life balance fitness subsidies
- Be part of “Giving Back” through a multitude of fundraising venues at DE
- Virtual events such as team building exercises, Games night, Live band performances, Adult and separate children’s holiday and summer parties for global teams!
- Job Function Dev
- Pay Type Salary
- London, ON, Canada