Senior Environment Artist
We are seeking a Senior Environment Artist to join the scrappy team that helps build the Warframe universe. We work with a proprietary engine across multiple platforms and you would have the opportunity, and load to bear, of delivering from scratch visual design. Your comfort with Art Theory will be tested by a wide range of settings from landscapes to sci-fi hallways all the way to surreal abstractions. You need to have a strong understanding of modern DCC apps (Designer, medium poly and sub-d modeling, Painter, etc.). You will also need a strong portfolio that demonstrates your craft applied to the high sci-fi settings we create. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in an agile environment driven by JIRA in a Kanban workflow, have a strong ability to mentor, and own level creation from block-in through final.
- Utilize traditional art training and knowledge of 3D art, design and computer graphics software to build efficient, high quality 3D models using next generation techniques such as normal mapping and advanced shaders
- Translate 2D concepts into 3D reality including modeling, texturing, UV-mapping, etc
- Work closely with the Art Director and Lead Artist to understand the creative direction as well as ensure the successful execution of the game’s visual design
- Contribute innovative and original ideas toward all art aspects of the game’s production and development
- Deliver work on time and according to schedule as prepared by the Art Director
- Actively participate in the feedback loop including accepting feedback from and providing feedback within the art team as required staying current on the scope and understanding of the project
- Coordinate with Production and the team on the generation and supply of marketing assets as defined by the schedule
- Multitask effectively, prioritize competing demands, and following through on details
- Support and mentor other artists who are less experienced and require more direction
- University degree in visual arts with specialization in graphic design, commercial art, graphic communications or cartooning OR completion of a college diploma program in graphic arts
- 5+ years’ previous experience in the video game industry
- Experience with modeling program like Max, ZBrush and Photoshop
- A portfolio that demonstrates one’s craft applied to the high sci-fi settings we create including excellent ability to work from concept, modeling and texturing
- A strong understanding of modern DCC apps (Designer, medium poly and sub-d modeling, Painter, etc.)
- Strong lighting skills and experience creating normal maps and applying shaders
- Above average ability to model, texture, and optimize props and assets for a state of the art next-gen game engine
- Possess exemplary oral and written communication skills
- Have a genuine interest and enthusiasm for Warframe
- An excellent understanding of efficient techniques for game production, traditional art background or experience, strong composition skills, and a sense of color theory
- Experience with Substance products
Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world's top independent video game development studios. Originating with the co-creation of Epic Games' multi-million unit selling Unreal® franchise including Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Digital Extremes went on to develop Dark Sector®, BioShock® for the PlayStation®3, the BioShock 2 multiplayer campaign, and The Darkness® II.
The studio has reached its greatest critical and commercial success with the free-to-play action game, Warframe®, boasting a global community of 50 million registered players on PC, PS4™, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch™.
For more information about Digital Extremes, visit www.digitalextremes.com. To sign up for Warframe, visit www.warframe.com.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing talent is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers”. We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Virtual access to Dialogue, our mental wellness and healthcare services app
- Professional development and career support
- Work-life balance fitness subsidies
- Be part of “Giving Back” through a multitude of fundraising venues at DE
- Virtual events such as team building exercises, Games night, Live band performances, Adult and separate children’s holiday and summer parties for global teams!
Digital Extremes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for the next steps in the hiring process will be contacted.
- Job Function Dev
- Pay Type Salary
- London, ON, Canada