Supervisor, Online Journalist - Global News Alberta
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
Our culture and our people are what make us, US.
We have a passion to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Our award-winning culture is an expression of who we are, what we do, and how we thrive. Our values describe our culture in action. They outline how we achieve our goals, work together, engage with partners, and interact in our communities. At Corus, we Win Together, Think Beyond, Make it Happen, Learn Every Day and Show We Care.
Ready to join US?
Division: Global News Alberta
Work Status: Full-Time
Location: Calgary, AB (Hybrid)
About the Role:
Global News is looking for a full-time Supervisor, Online Journalist based out of Calgary to join their team. Reporting to the Digital Managing Editor, the successful candidate would supervise the online work of producers, journalists, and reporters in Calgary, Edmonton and Lethbridge. This position will include a variety of shifts including daytime, evenings, weekends, and holidays. It is a hybrid position with some onsite and some work-from-home responsibilities. This is a Group H position under the current collective agreement.
You'll be working on things like:
- Encourage, direct, and oversee the production and promotion of compelling online content.
- Communicate, teach, track and model Global News’ best practices in digital journalism.
- Mentor newer employees in best journalism and online practices including but not limited to CP Style and Global News Journalistic Principles and Practices.
- Write, post and promote online content, including on-air appearances.
- Champion online coverage at meetings and throughout the day to ensure digital platforms are prioritized. Report on top-performing content to help inform editorial decisions for all publishing platforms.
- Develop and execute strategies to grow and engage our audience on globalnews.ca and social media. Monitor real-time site performance and work with online staff to optimize.
- Work with managing editors, news directors and others to implement a flexible workflow that supports multi-platform content production.
- Work with managing editors and administrative support staff to schedule online journalists, ensuring region-wide coverage seven days a week.
- Maintain regular contact with fellow Global News digital leaders and communicate key changes and improvements to staff and managers.
- Participate in planning of special news, community and marketing events and projects. Support marketing with online and social efforts, as required.
- Ensure all online stories are vetted for content, grammar and style. Work with managing editors to improve your own and your team’s writing skills.
- Ensure local and wire content is posted and promoted in a timely fashion.
- Oversee access to official accounts on social networks. Ensure content is promoted optimally.
- Oversee viewer relations on social media. Resolve and respond to website user complaints and feedback.
- Support advertising and sponsorship efforts, as required.
If you have the following...we want to hear from you!
- Post-secondary education in journalism, communications or a related field
- Minimum of 7 years experience in a major market online role.
- Experience supervising or leading a team is required.
- Editing experience is required
- On-air experience is preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding and extensive experience with WordPress.
- Proficient in social media including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently, effectively, and cooperatively in a team environment.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Punctuality, promptness is required
- Successful candidate must be able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- A positive, can-do attitude is essential.
- Leadership training and coaching will be provided to the successful candidate.
Application Deadline: March 23, 2023
Every day, we work hard to become an even more diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that supports the well-being of our people and makes a positive difference in our communities. Want to learn more? Have a look at our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Action Plan and Sustainability Report for more information on our approach to People, Planet and Responsibility.
We want our workforce to reflect the full diversity of communities across Canada.
We are committed to providing an accessible experience for candidates of all abilities. Please let your recruiter or the hiring manager know if you require any adjustments throughout the recruitment process or email us in confidence at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply: If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family PD-Production
- Job Function 02-Media/Communications Creative & Design
- Pay Type Salary