Animal Health Coordinator - 011 - OPS
POSITION: Animal Health Coordinator
STATUS: Permanent; Full-time
LOCATION: BC SPCA Provincial Office (OPS)
CLOSING DATE: Open until Filled
Submit resume and cover letter to complete your application.
The BC SPCA Provincial Office is looking for a permanent/ full-time Animal Health Coordinator position; occasional weekend/holiday work required.
This position supports the work of the Senior Manager, Animal Health and the Chief Operations Officer by focusing on the optimization of animal health practices in the shelters and the enhancement of internal organization processes that support animal health.
The Animal Health Coordinator will work collaboratively with the Animal Management Team and all relevant stakeholders to coordinate and consult on issues as they relate to animal health in Branches.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Material Development
- Creating and consulting on new animal health protocols and documents as directed by the SMAH
- Supporting the SMAH in updating current animal health protocols and documents to reflect science based improvements in shelter medicine
- Ongoing communication with shelters regarding areas where more protocols, documents and/or training would be beneficial
- Creation and implementation of various resources including online tools, visual aids, quick reference guides, etc. around animal health related topics such as vaccine administration, low stress handling and medication administration.
- Ongoing communication with management and staff on inquiries into protocols
- Travelling to different BC SPCA locations to offer hands on training in observation techniques, animal health and welfare protocols and low stress handling
- Leading and contributing to remote training opportunities including webinars, phone calls, and the creation of online resources as above
- Coordinating veterinary student Animal Welfare rotations; ensuring that student evaluations are compiled and submitted; teaching veterinary students, veterinary technician students, and undergraduates as required
- General Coordination for Animal Health Program
- Ongoing awareness of and support for all AH activities in the province including disease outbreaks, materials under development, gaps in materials, impending absences, etc
- Maintaining and organizing all AH materials and AH personnel descriptions on the staff portal
- Providing enhanced support to DVMs covering AH when the SMAH is absent; maintaining Ops DVM/RVT Time Away schedule
- Collecting, organizing and maintaining data for research purposes as directed by the SMAH
- Plating of ringworm samples received from across the province
- Ongoing monitoring and reporting of these cases
- Communication and support for all BC SPCA shelters dealing with ringworm cases including biosecurity, treatment, troubleshooting, spreadsheet updating and animal movement within their shelter
- Updating, implementing and training shelter staff on the use of Ringworm Comprehensive Protocol
- Preparing orders through Health Canada EDR program for Lime Plus Dip, maintaining compliance with Health Canada requirements for use of Lime Plus Dip on EDR
- Case Management Support
- Creation and management of disease outbreak spreadsheets including communication with shelters and outside companies ( i.e. drug and vaccine companies) regarding information required
- Gaining skill and comfort over time with conducting risk assessments in disease exposure events
- Working alongside hospital staff and the Ministry of Ag with monitoring, shipment, and tracking of RHD vaccines around the province
- Supporting BC SPCA shelters with inquiries regarding RHD vaccine uses
- Assist in medical intake planning for CID cases as directed by the SMAH
- Continual involvement in CID cases with medical relevancy as directed by the SMAH
- Lead for animal health on LSAI planning calls, create and update animal health plans for LSAI groups, monitor weight trends and ensure appropriate action taken for seized LSAI animals.
- Report all IDEXX results to branches and direct on treatment/biosecurity/etc with assistance from SMAH as needed.
- Supporting SMAH in case support requests from branches by reviewing and summarizing medical records
- Continuing Education
- Leadership in the Veterinary Technology sector with the creation of articles, support groups and other means of academic communication that will reflect high shelter medicine and welfare standards within our organization
- Ongoing inquisition into studies, conferences and other learning platforms that will further heighten knowledge and expertise levels
- Supporting other SPCA departments as required for companion animal health and welfare issues
- Organization and minute taking for departmental meetings as needed, such as AMT meeting
- Assists in outreach initiatives including Charlie’s Food Bank as required
- Support veterinary outreach including to RVTs and RVT programs
- Performs other duties as required
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Registered Veterinary Technician
- Experience in a shelter setting preferred
- Has a genuine compassion for animals and sound knowledge of the Five Freedoms and related animal welfare standards
- Basic understanding of shelter medicine required
- Animal behaviour training an asset
- Excellent communication and interpersonal (written and in-person) skills
- Clinical skills: ringworm plating and identification; low-stress handling of animals for medical examination, procedures, and treatment; sampling and submission of common shelter medicine infectious disease samples
- Philosophical harmony with BC SPCA policies, programs and protocols
- Computer Skills – Windows, MS Office; knowledge of Shelter Buddy an asset
- Willing to work occasional evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to regularly travel throughout the assigned region and Province as necessary. Must have a valid BC Driver’s License
HOW TO APPLY:
Whether you are launching your career or seeking meaningful employment and are legally entitled to work in Canada, we invite you to learn more about the BC SPCA and this opportunity. Click on apply now or is the link: https://spca.bc.ca/about-us/careers/
We welcome diversity, value differences, and foster inclusion in our employment practices. We invite applications from all qualified individuals who are philosophically aligned with our mission and guiding principles.
We thank you for your interest in the BC SPCA, however; only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
The BC SPCA is a Registered Charity BN 11881 9036 RR0001
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Associate Degree
- 1245 E 7th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5T 1R1, Canada