Water and Sewer Worker - CLOSES: Thursday August 18, 2022
Internal / External
The City of St. Thomas is recruiting for a:
WATER AND SEWER WORKER
Environmental Services Department
Job Posting #: 570-06-30
This CUPE 35 union position, under the general direction and technical guidance of the Manager of Water and Sewer, or designate, performs a variety of jobs related to the construction, maintenance and operation of the sewer and water infrastructure.
Performs all functions related to the operation, construction and maintenance of the waterworks infrastructure i.e. watermains, valves, services, hydrants and performing Locates on all underground utilities.
Performs all functions related to the operation, construction, maintenance of the sewer infrastructure i.e. storm & sanitary sewers, manholes, catch basins, private drain connections.
Uses hand & power tools, operates light & heavy trucks, loaders, compressors, pumps, underground locate equipment & other specialized waterworks/sewer works equipment, including the sewer jet flusher.
Assists in solving water distribution, drainage, and/or sewer related problems.
Performs sewer and waterworks inspections and testing, pressure testing, chlorination, and swabbing, as required.
This position must take responsibility for personal health and safety insofar as he or she is able under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations. A worker must:
- Work in compliance with the provisions of the Act, the regulations and City policies.
- Must use or wear the equipment, protective devices or clothing that the City requires to be used or worn
- Report to his or her supervisor the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device of which the worker is aware and which may endanger himself, herself or another worker
- Report to his or her supervisor any contravention of the Act, the regulations or the existence of any hazard of which he or she knows.
This position shall not:
- Remove or make ineffective any protective device required by regulations or by the City, without providing an adequate temporary protective device and when the need for removing or making ineffective the protective device has ceased, the protective device shall be replaced immediately
- Use or operate any equipment, machine, device or thing or work in a manner that may endanger himself, herself or any other worker
- Engage in any prank, contest, feat of strength, unnecessary running or rough and boisterous conduct.
Works in close proximity to heavy equipment, traffic, and in adverse conditions.
Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Grade 12 Secondary School Graduation Diploma together with a MECP Certification (Level 1) for Wastewater Collection and Water Distribution. Must possess a valid Ontario driver’s license Class ‘D’ with ‘Z’ endorsement. Must have or attain First-aid/CPR Certification. Thorough knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety Act with emphasis on confined space entry and traffic control. Must have the ability to work in confined spaces, noisy and/or unsanitary environments.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
May be required to work outside and beyond the normal hours of work and participate in a standby call rotation. Must be able to respond to emergencies within a reasonable period of time. May be required to work within other areas of the Environmental Services Department.
REMUNERATION: $30.39 per hour working 40 hours per week (plus $0.58 for each required MECP certificate that you have to a maximum of six) plus a comprehensive benefit package.
Applications must be received no later than Thursday August 18, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
HOW TO APPLY:
Go to www.stthomas.ca – Employment, Employment Opportunities.
Go to Posting Title.
Click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You will need to create a Login.
Please IMPORT and UPLOAD your COVER LETTER AND RESUME individually (i.e. pdf, word).
ENSURE YOU HAVE ATTACHED ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS PRIOR TO SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION.
Note: You will be required to answer Qualification questions during the application process.
When your application has been successfully received through Dayforce, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org stating “Congratulations, your application has been successfully submitted.”
All prospective employees, volunteers and students will be required to provide an acceptable “Criminal Record Search” as a condition of employment and prior to commencing employment.
Although we appreciate all applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information for this position is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, R.S.O. 2001, as amended.
The City of St. Thomas is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. Questions may be directed to the Human Resources Department at 519-631-1680 ext. 4146.
- Pay Type Hourly