Water/Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator, Class II - CLOSES: December 12, 2022
Water/Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator II
Public Works and Environmental Services
Manager of Water and Wastewater Services
Purpose and Scope:
Reporting to the Manager of Water and Wastewater Services and/or the Overall Responsible Operator (ORO), the Water/Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator 2 is responsible for operating and maintaining the process control equipment for the municipality’s water and wastewater treatment plants including any associated booster and pumping stations. The Operator will perform mechanical and facility maintenance and operate and monitor the treatment processes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The position will:
- Inspect, operate and maintain all mechanical, electrical and chemical systems associated with the municipality’s water and wastewater treatment plants.
- Record all data from booster and pumping stations, where they exist, including daily flows, chlorine feeds, fluoride feeds, power usage and chemical residuals.
- Make operational changes necessary to maintain treatment based on process data collected; making and implementing operational changes as required.
- Undertake all sampling as required by Provincial standards, rules and regulations.
- Unplug blocked lines and pumps as required.
- Perform basic laboratory tests on water and sewage samples including fluoride and chlorine residuals, alkalinity, pH, etc.
- Carry out tasks related to systems preventative maintenance programs, reports repair requirements to the Manager, the ORO and/or Director of Public Works and Environmental Services as the case may be, including recommendations and assist with the repair of equipment as required.
- Maintain, as directed, the water and wastewater plant grounds and buildings including the periodic cleaning of walls, floors and windows and the painting of buildings and equipment.
- Use process interpretation skills and trouble shooting skills to alter plant operation to repair and maintain equipment and system as required.
- Ensure that the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act are followed.
- Be available for on-call service as directed by the Manager of Water and Wastewater Services.
- Be available for after-hour and weekend work as required.
- Be courteous to the public and show respect for equipment, etc.
Note: Above duties are representative of a typical position and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
The position will have direct contact with:
Manager of Water and Wastewater Services, the ORO-WTP/WWTP, other departmental and City Staff.
Provincial Authorities, General Public, Contractors and Consultants as required.
The position will require:
- A minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid certification in Class II water and/or wastewater treatment.
- Computer skills and accurate record keeping skills.
- Laboratory skills.
- Working knowledge of instrumentation devices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Valid Class G Driver’s Licence and a clear driver’s abstract.
A minimum of three (3) years of experience in the field of municipal water and/or wastewater treatment systems is required.
The position is responsible for making recommendations to the Manager of Water and Wastewater Services and/or the ORO-WTP/WWTP regarding the general operation, repairs and maintenance of the facilities, ensuring the highest quality standards are achieved relative to water and wastewater treatment systems.
- Not applicable.
- Continuous exposure to several disagreeable conditions such as sewage, tanks, chemicals and continuous outside work.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $35.84
- 8 Couch Crescent, Trenton, ON K8V 1G8, Canada